Many of us have three or more social networks that must constantly be check for updates or updated. So I went searching for a way to simplify my life here is what I came across: There is no one way. Several companies are close such as CliqSet or DestroyTwitter but none really aggregate everything together. Many of the desktop applications actually turned out to be Adobe AIR apps so kudos to Adobe!
- DestroyTwitter – Simple desktop application, only works with Twitter and only really useful for one account Requires Adobe AIR. Supports: Twitter
- TweetDeck – My favourite so far really does a good job of running multiple Twitter accounts on your desktop. Requires: Adobe AIR. Supports: Twitter, Facebook, Myspace
- Cliqset - This one supports every imaginable network and makes them easy to organize by people, service, activity, or custom groups only problem is you need to sign up with their social network. Requires: Adobe AIR. Supports: Avatar United, Bebo, BrightKite, Facebook, FriendFeed, Friendster, GamerDNA, Gather, hi5, Identi.ca, Jaiku, LinkedIn, MySpace, Plurk, Raptr, Skyrock, Twitter, Blogger, Custom Feed, LiveJournal, Tumblr, WordPress, Xanga, Delicious, Digg, Diigo, GoogleReader, Mixx, Newsvine, Propeller, Reddit, StumbleUpon,Twine, 12seconds, Blip.FM, Blip.TV, Boxee, Buzznet, Dailymotion, DeviantArt, Flickr, Fotolog, FunnyOrDie, Hulu, iLike, Joost, Last.FM, MetaCafe, MobyPicture, Pandora, Photobucket, Photocase, Picasa, Qik, Revver, SlideShare, SmugMug, Vi.sualize.us, Vimeo, YouTube, Zooomr, Blippr, Corkd, Flixster, Goodreads, LibraryThing, Qype, Readernaut,Yelp.
- Skimmer – A very smooth and clean and intuitive interface with many different display options. Requires Adobe AIR. Supports: Twitter, Fickr, Facebook, Youtube, Blogger.
- Facebook for Adobe AIR – The same as DestroyTwitter except for Facebook instead. Requires Adobe AIR. Supports: Facebook.
- Profilactic – Claims to support 190 social networking sites… no desktop app.
- ProfileFly – Like Profilactic supports 100’s of websites, social media sites, bookmarking sites, video photos you name it my only problem is that it doesn’t have a desktop app.
In summary I found that Cliqset was my favourite unfortunately its still a work in progress, so I stuck with good ole Tweetdeck, even though really enjoyed the UI on Skimmer. ProfileFly has potential but I was really looking for a desktop app and DestroyTwitter cant handle multiple accounts or even Facebook.
Feel free to suggest your favourite.